Sunday, September 19, 2010

Second Assignment for English 206 Poetry. "Speech"

                                                               Speech.

I read books that teach, that entertain,
to distract, and escape from
Schools that introduced them to me,
tried to teach me to interpret
Sentences that carry me along a black river in white,
to another idea or imaginary place,
further down the page,
across and over a paper mountain,
and dive into an ocean of
Words my teachers said were
nouns,
verbs,
adjectives,
adverbs,
pronouns
formed out of
Syllables I seem to create arbitrarily out of the
Letters A through Z,
the confusing jumble in between,
to a child told “no”,
a parent thinks
“to someone you will always get it wrong”. It
Sounds like beasts, calling for companionship,
warning and challenging competitors,
expressing some redundant mood or feeling.

What does it matter?
Learning this language of
Misunderstanding?
Translating it all into Understandable
Noises carried in the air,
on the wind going nowhere,
disappearing somehow,
like myself in the world,
my words
misinterpreted,
ignored,
maligned,
mocked,
absorbed
People talking without saying anything
I have been talking my whole life but
Am I understood?
Do I know what I mean?
Does what I say matter,
or do I make noise to comfort others,
as I comfort myself before the blackness comes,
the same blackness of words that sit upon this page?

No comments:

Post a Comment